Dr Chinnadorai Rajeswaran, consultant endocrinologist explains about tiredness and its endocrine management. Please email him, if you need more information.
Tiredness or Fatigue is a common complaint. Tiredness All The Time (TATT) is not common and help should be sought. There are several reasons for tiredness which need to be investigated before treatment can be initiated.
Common causes of tiredness include:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Underactive thyroid
- Sleep disorders
- Post viral illness
- Restless legs
Some of the uncommon causes of tiredness include:
- Auto immune conditions
- Heart failure
- Liver failure
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- Inflammatory Bowel disease and other GI problems
- Myasthenia Gravis and other neurological problems
- Psychiatric illness
Before a diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), Fibromyalgia or ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) is made, it is important to rule out endocrine or hormonal cause.
Endocrine cause for tiredness includes:
- Electrolyte disturbance (Calcium, sodium, Magnesium, Potassium)
- Adrenal problems including Addison’s disease
- Growth hormone deficiency
- Hyperthyroidism (Apathetic)
- Gonadal problems (Erectile dysfunction, Menopause)
Dr Chinnadorai Rajeswaran is a consultant Physician specialising in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity. As a private endocrinologist he has private endocrine, diabetes and weight loss clinics in Harley Street, London, Chennai (India), Claremont Hospital, Sheffield, Nuffield Hospital, Leeds and Simplyweight, Bradford.
He has face to face consultations with people from Barnsley, Rotherham, Chesterfield, Doncaster, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Bradford, Harrogate, Leeds, Sheffield, London and Chennai (India). He also offers video consultations.